Nugroho Heri Cahyono
Born: Yogyakarta, March 8th, 1981
My art work is actually the expression of feelings, which is a collection of ideas that come from the environment, the physical experience, inner experience and amazing experienced events from my self. The immediate environment is a never-ending object used as a source of ideas in the my art work. The source of idea really closely associated with urban culture, identity, and all cultural products resulting from the related issues. These experiences will be retrospect end evaluate so that raises the aesthetic experience, and then will be interpreted and visualized in the artwork that can be represent the feelings and my personality.
My art work is the accumulation from my experiences, memory, observation and reflection. These experiences into embryos that will grow and produce an idea that comes from environment traditional culture.
I was born 34 years ago and grew up in Yogyakarta, a small town in Indonesia, that’s really strong in arts and cultural traditions, for example like batik, traditional dances etc. So since I was a a baby, kid till now, I’m really close with traditional art, especially the art of batik. while I’m working in batik industry, indirectly bringng up awareness about the beauty of the culture in the hill. Jogja batik colors like blue sogan ripe, dark brown etc. are also greatly affect the taste of colouring.
I prefer to explore and experiment with different materials and techniques, forms of construction, characteristics and meanings contained in construction have the opportunities and more potential if embodied with various painting techniques and printmaking techniques on canvas, because the printmaking techniques, hardboardcut, and collagraph print (non-conventional), that I will got surprises artistic or texture can not be expected, and the graphical techniques will also be able to easily duplicate shapes such construction so that the creative process will be more fun.
2012-2014 : Master of Fine Art (Indonesian Institute of Art), ISI Sewon, Bantul, Yogyakarta
2001-2008 : Bachelor of Fine Art (Indonesian Institute of Art), ISI Sewon, Bantul, Yogyakarta
2008 “TEXTURE IN PRINT MAKING”, Katamsi Gallery, Yogyakarta, Indonesia
2012 “NewMacPic (new machine picture)” The Arts House Gallery, Singapore
2014 “Construction Of The Building As A Visual Art Creation Ideas With The Exploration Of Pprintmaking Technique”, UPT Gallery ISI, Yogyakarta
– Exhibition SAGE ” Southeast Asian Group Exchange Recidency” Matahati, Kuala lumpur, Malaysia
– Group exhibition ” Cultural Bridge ” at Wendt Gallery , New York
– SAGE Exhibition “Southeast Asia art Group Exchange Residency” in Sangkring Art Project, Yogyakarta
– SAGE Exhibition “Southeast Asia art Group Exchange Residency” at Boston Gallery, Manila , Philippines
– Exhibition with inmates ” Art Therapy # 2 ” in prison Kedungpane , Semarang
– Exhibition of the finalists “The 2 nd UOB Painting Of The Year Competition” , UOB Plaza, Jakarta
– Group exhibition “Perahu art connection community launching ” in Perahu art connection, Yogyakarta
– Group exhibition with “Asean finalists Graphic Art ‘s Competition”, Hanoi, Vietnam
– Group exhibition ” Tribute to the earth ” in the Perahu art connection community , Yogyakarta
– Group exhibition with ” Trans Avangarde ” in AJBS gallery , Surabaya
– Group exhibition ” Environmental art ” , on the shore pine beach , Yogyakarta
– Exhibition of the finalists “The 3th UOB Painting Of The Year Competition” , UOB plaza , Jakarta
– Exhibition with ” No Random Nonsense ” in the Boston gallery , Philipina
– Group exhibition ” Representation ” ISI magister program Gallery , yogyakarta
– Group exhibition ” Concurrence ” in the West gallery , Philippines.
– Duo show,”Civilisation” at Hom Art Trans Gallery, Malaysia
– Group exhibition “Re load” at Lucban Art Space, Philipina
– Group exhibition “Prasangka membawa nikmat” at Jogja Gallery, Yogyakarta
– Group exhibition “There is no place like hom” at Pace Gallery, Malaysia
– Group Exhibition “ Remnant from paths that wander”at Gallery Orange, Philipina
-Group Exhibition “ More than D2”at Vin Gallery , Vietnam
– three man show “Artifisial” di SAY Artspace, Seoul, Korea Selatan
– Group Exhibition collaboration with Seoul Artist “ Summer House” at SAY Artspace, Seoul, south korea
– Group Exhibition “kenduri”at Perahu Art Connection, Yogyakarta
– Group Exhibition “ urbanstorming”at Gallery cipta TIM, Jakarta
– Group Exhibition “Ties Of Tenggara”atBalai Seni Visual Gallery, Malaysia
– Group Exhibition “Action Auction” di SAY Artspace, Seoul, Korea Selatan
– mural Project ”Sama sama”di Parit, Malaysia
– Group Exhibition “ lima Benua”di Rumah Lebah Gallery, Imogiri
– Group Exhibition “ Home Sweet Home”di Ruang Seni Bangunjiwa, Yogyakarta
2008 Best printmaking Art Work XXIV Diesnatalis, Indonesian institute of Art, Yogyakarta
2009 Nominated 60 of the competition “THE POWER OF DREAM”, Seven Star Art Space, Yogyakarta
2010 Nominated 10 of the competition “JAKARTA ART AWARD”, North Art Space, Jakarta
2012 Finalist the 2nd UOB Painting Of The Year Competition
2012 Consolation prize ASEAN’s Graphic Art Competition, Hanoi, Vietnam
2013 Finalist the 3rd UOB Painting Of The Year Competition
2006 The Work Shop art glass in Purbalingga , Central Java .
2006 Work Shop PGTKI painting for children , Purbalingga , Central Java .
2006 Work Shop screen printing / silk screen in Purbalingga , Central Java .
2010 Art Therapy in Jogja International Hospital , Yogyakarta
2011 Artist residency in SAGE (Southeast Asian Art Group Exchange) in Matahati, Kuala lumpur, Malaysia
2011 Artists residency in SAGE in Land Art, Yogyakarta
2011 Artists residency in SAGE in PSP (Project Space Philippines ), Manila, Philippines
2012 Drawing workshop “Art Therapy #2” with inmates in prison Wirogunan, Yogyakarta
2012 Workshops sketches and batik tye die “Art Therapy # 2” with inmates in prison Kedungpane, Semarang
2012 Planting trees in cross – Thousand Merapi, Deles village, Kemalang, Klaten
2012 Organiser SAGE Residency Program at Perahu Art Connection, Yogyakarta
2013 Workshop painting for children in the village of Deles, Kemalang, Klaten
2015 AIR Program (Artists In Residence) Mullae-Jeju, Seoul, South Korea